- The online ALEKS exam will no longer be used for course exemption (as of 8/18/21). The ALEKS exam will only be used for course placement.
- Only the in person DMAT can be used for course exemptions.
Placement and Exemption Exams (DMAT or ALEKS)
- The Math Placement Exam (either option) is NOT Mandatory, however taking it is highly recommended. Scores on this exam will help your advisor place you into the appropriate level Math course and may also be used for course exemption and or/ placement.
- No CREDIT is given for exempted courses, but exemption of MATH 1113 or MATH 1101 may satisfy Core and/or Degree requirements Core AREA 1a requirement.
- Students who receive AP credit for calculus on the Calculus AB or BC exams DO NOT need to take either exam.
You should be aware that you cannot take either exam if you have already enrolled in MATH 1101 or MATH 1113 at any institution. (In particular, you cannot withdraw from the course once it's begun and then take the exam.)
Unless you already know that you have Avanced Placement (AP) or Transfer credit for Precalculus or above, you should take either one of two Math Placement Exam options. ALEKS Placement Exam or the Mathematics Exemption Test before or during your Freshman Orientation.
If you think you may major in Engineering, Science, or any major that requires Calculus (Math 2250), you will need to be prepared to take Precalculus (MATH 1113) when you arrive at UGA. The Math Placement Exam gives you the opportunity to exempt Precalculus.
Students who plan to major in a subject that does not require calculus still benefit from taking either of the Math Placement Exams by possibly testing out of their Core AREA 1a requirement.
Differences between ALEKS PPL and the Mathematics Exemption Test
- The DMAT provides course EXEMPTION (MATH 1101 and or 1113) immediately upon scoring, and placement into Math 2250.
- ALEKS ONLY provides course PLACEMENT (into MATH 2250). If you successfully complete Math 2250, you will then be given course exemption for either (MATH 1101 and or 1113).
- You can only take the Mathematics Exemption Test (DMAT) ONE TIME and it must be taken at University Testing Services. There are 26 multiple choice questions.
- ALEKS PPL gives you up to 5 tries and is administered through the web. The questions are NOT multiple choice.
ALEKS PPL allows you to take the placement test on your own computer at home. It is a powerful artificial-intelligence based assessment tool that zeros in on the strengths and weaknesses of a student’s mathematical knowledge, reports its findings to the student, and then provides the student with a learning environment for improving this knowledge to an appropriate level for course placement. Scoring a 76 or above on the exam will let you place into Math 2250 (Calculus).
This is an in person proctored exam. Scores from this exam are used to exempt either MATH 1101 and/or MATH 1113 and place into Math 2250.
You can schedule your pre-orientation exemption exam(s) with University Testing Services (UTS). It's recommended to take the exam prior to the first day of your orientation session, however not mandatory.
Advanced Placement (AP Credit)
Some students choose to take an Advanced Placement exam prior to entering college.